Friday, August 29, 2008

I have not had Superman Ice Cream since I was six


This has been a wicked summer, and I think it fittingly ends with a thud on a cloudy, rainy, devoid of plans Labour Day (for you Canadians). I really cannot top canoe trips with old friends, family visits to Baltimore, baseball games that seem to last weekends, parties in Vegas, ocean side relaxation. This was a standard I only wish I could keep.

It has been one year this week since I arrived in the big crab cake from the metro city. My life in a way is what I always wanted and dreamed of as I grew up and slept through college. I work a job that honestly makes time fly and makes me think. I actually find myself pondering it away from work now, which isn’t a bad thing. In my time off, I do all a 20-something male is ever accused of wanting to do; play lots of hockey, go to the gym, go to the bar, and attempt to get my Xbox gamerscore to catch Bill’s. It is a state of perpetual bliss now that if left unattended will recycle itself over the coming years with marginal ease.

Achieving goals one had spent the better part of a decade attempting to obtain always brings about thoughts and reflections of how, why, and if the goals accomplished what they were supposed to in your greater plan of things; if there was one. For me, I see this as an eye of the hurricane moment. I dragged myself through college and grad school and into massive debt most do not know at this age, but I got where I wanted. Through all of that work and all of the impending unemployment conversations I had, a sense of peace pervaded as I knew I would get here, and so here I am. Now I sit waiting. Now I must decide what happens for the next decade and more importantly, the next quarter century.

I find myself with the goals of a middle aged family man oddly enough. I desire a home, a wife, maybe a little Jackson Lee James (as I have already dubbed him). These are no where near my tasks for this upcoming year or years, but long term goals my compass has set its sights on.

Those will be goals which will throw life into continued chaos again, until that blissful day I may retire; if I even choose to. For now I can sit and play, relax, recharge, and enjoy my idle pond mindset. Sure enough there is a giant loogie lofted in my direction that will create a wake that takes all my stored energy to attend to.

1 comments:

Locks said...

it's strange and wonderful how things come together

:)